Chemshed Cabinet Survives Fire

Article Store Flammable Liquids
Download a printable version here

 

July 1, 2019

 

On a May morning in 2018, the Repco branch in Te Kuiti was destroyed after a fire broke out. 

During the blaze, the main road was closed off while 25 fire fighters battled the fire to prevent it from impacting other businesses nearby. The heat quickly reached a point that caused the steel structure to fail and the building’s roof to collapse. 

Repco Te Kuiti sold a variety of products that contained combustible materials, including oils, paints and other flammable liquids. Significant damage was caused to the interior and exterior of the store, yet miraculously their Chemshed Flammable Cabinet survived the fire!

The majority of products inside the store were either severely damaged or destroyed and while the Chemshed Flammable Cabinet suffered burns to the top half of the unit, the structure remained intact and the contents within unharmed.

The Chemshed Flammable Cabinet was being used to store class 3 flammable liquids including, paint thinner and engine coolant, in the store’s warehouse. Given the very volatile nature of the products, had these liquids not been stored in the Chemshed Flammable Cabinet, they would have contributed to accelerating the fire with the high likelihood of causing significantly more damage. If your premises suffered a similar fate, would your flammable liquids be as secure as this?

 

Creating safer working environments

At Hazero our mission is zero hazards

Chemshed cabinets can help keep your dangerous goods safe and secure from people and the environment. Whether you are storing class 3 flammable liquids, class 8 corrosives, class 6 toxics or agrichemicals the Chemshed range can help you create a safer working environment. View our range here

Need help creating a safer working environment? Contact our team today on 0800 688 844 or email us at info@hazero.co.nz. Our team are also available for on-site assessments across New Zealand, click here to request a site visit.

Content above falls under the Hazero disclaimer. For more information click here

 

The fire caused major damage to Repco Te Kuiti. 

 

The Chemshed Flammable Cabinet survived the fire, suffering only burns to the top half of the unit. The structure remained intact and the contents within were unharmed.